3/13/08

Reacting to Criticism

In the post called A Toad in a Texas Hailstorm are a few tips for handling criticism. Here's one of them: "Remember, you’re worse than any criticism of you."

In this regard the following wisdom is given:

Anything sinful someone sees in me is but the tip of the iceberg. I’m far worse than anything you say about me, because I crucified Christ. I can’t tell you how much remembering this has helped me when disrespected or criticized.
I wonder if this could help in times of hurt or unsureness about others' opinions of oneself. Even if someone views me negatively, you know what? I'm WORSE than what s/he might be thinking! And you know what? God's GREATER than what any of us could ever imagine! Whew!

As John Newton once said: "My memory is nearly gone, but I remember two things, that I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Saviour."

(edit: 3/16)

No comments: