3/31/08

Keep Bleeding Love...

Here's a blurb from the song Keep Bleeding Love (not a Christian song):

My heart's crippled by the vein
That I keep on closing
You cut me open and I

Keep bleeding
Keep, keep bleeding love
I really should love when it hurts or is tough or when I notice particular characteristics/behaviors in people (who are not my good friends) that wouldn't necessarily be on my 'good friend criteria list' (such a list doesn't exist though if you asked me I could probably tell you what I like in good friends).

Tonight at Bible study in response to the question "Explain what 'loving your neighbor as yourself' means to you", I think someone said that it means "wanting the best for others"...I like that theory. It seems to coincide with Matthew 7:12. Indeed, we should treat others as we'd like to be treated. We should love our enemies (Matt. 5:44).

In practice I should extend the same grace (even if it's just in my thoughts) that I'd like to be given.

I should let love be the band aid that covers the wound of sin (which might include negative thoughts and internal judgment). Somehow, "love covers over a multitude of sins" (1 Peter 4:8). Doesn't excuse our personal sins, but it might be the frames of the grace glasses through which we can view others to love them over their sin or potentially sin-tainted quirks.

Note: I'm not saying we should neglect the issue of sin, especially if it's deeper or intentional sins, but often times it is natural to neglect 'little' sins we see in others. Don't think it's necessary to call people out on every single sin. Whew. Would we ever get anywhere? :)

No comments: