2/18/08

Security in Christ

From Sunday's church bulletin is this blurb from the song "Pensive, Doubting Fearful Heart" (Words-John Newton, 1779; Music-Wendell Kimbrough, 2004): Yes, ultimate security can be found in Christ. The foremost goal should be to honor God and find refuge in Him rather than seeking man's praise. I've heard something like this: "If you wonder what others are thinking of you, they aren't." They aren't!...Right. (Well of course people think of people, but...you get the idea.) They have their own worlds. I have mine. Sometimes they mutually intersect; often they don't.

Yes, there is the command to "strive for peace with everyone" (Heb. 12:14). But also we are to strive "for the holiness" (same verse). Striving for peace might not always mean reaching a state of mutual affection. A peaceful state might not equate with a state of admiration. Obtaining peace doesn't mean casting on people high hopes and expectations that will only disappoint. Ultimate security should not come from the comfort of knowing we are liked. In the letter to the Thessalonians (I), their aim was "not to please man, but to please God" (2:4). They did not "seek glory from people" (2:6). The instruction is to love even "enemies and pray for those who persecute" (Matt. 5:44). In the context of life where active persecutors seem to be absent, those who stir jealousy or those who disappoint or hurt might suffice (in counting as our 'enemy') to serve as objects of prayer and love. If only every time I felt hurt by or jealous of another I'd ward off the feeling-induced poison by directing my thoughts to prayer for them.

Transformation should come from Christ's work within; and, consequently, hopefully people will like that transformation. Proverbs 16:7 says, "When a man's ways are pleasing to the LORD, he makes even his enemies live at peace with him." So the first goal should be to please God, and then peace with man can follow. However, the proper order of the first goal and the following result should not be reversed. Even though I know that in my head, the selfish part of me I think over-desires affirmation from others. I want people to positively reciprocate, respond, react, encourage, and love. I can get disappointed or hurt by reactions or lack thereof.

My world is pretty me, me, me, when it should be: HIM, HIM, HIM. I *know* HE is where my refuge should lie. So why do I consistently seek refuge or happiness elsewhere?

"What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!" (Romans 7:24-25a)

1 comment:

Ann said...

Good one, Rachael!