2/9/08

Personal Uglies...

In the blogpost "My Friends Are So Awkward," Stephen Altrogge writes about the accountability he has with his Friday morning small group and the importance of asking difficult questions to help one properly view one's sin.

It must be a frightening treasure to have the opportunity for an exchange of honest vulnerability with a loving, trusted friend who also provides Biblical counsel or that outside perspective that can see through the blind spots and call sin for what it is.

What about our negative characteristics of which we either might be aware but not actively fighting, or of which we might be entirely oblivious?

In the article "My Ugly Blind Spot," Suzanne Hadley notes:

Blind spots may include things as simple as non-verbal characteristics, such as lack of eye contact, or as serious as sinful behaviors, such as pride or gossip. These blind spots have the ability to hinder relationships or even damage a witness.
Unfortunately, I might sometimes or often display ugly or lack beautiful characteristics (related to good verbal and non-verbal communication) if I'm uncomfortable or not interested in or clueless of the topics people are talking about in group settings. Frustrating. Maybe I should actively strive to change in these areas. Suzanne notes the "first step" in doing away with the uglies "is to invite feedback." Although it might be good if I could know more things wrong with me than I already know, I wonder if it might be helpful if someone could give me helpful advice on how to deal with the uglies that I am aware of. Ideally...step-by-step. Realistically...people don't always tear into me about the little things or get on me or know about the bigger things...Realistically, I might not be fighting (in the major or minor uglies) with a proper focus on Christ.

Perhaps I should be more proactive in dealing with the uglies, but if I merely exert effort on my own strength, that will not be enough. I need to remember the forgiveness and strength Christ provides. We are beautifully forgiven. Shouldn't I live my life as a reflection of this?

Recently in a comment following a post on the Boundlessline blog, a commenter wrote this:

My last pastor said this often:
Make Christ your centerfuge.

What is a centerfuge? It is the central piece in mechanics that everything hinges on...Its what everything revolves around and ensures nothing goes flying everywhere. As long as you have that center, everything falls into place.

So what is your life revolving around? With Christ as your center, and him as your sole focus, your life starts falling into place. I've seen it, I've experienced it. Its for real, but it takes daily rededication and daily, hourly, even secondly "yes"es for it to happen.


Truly, that line of the old hymn is true: I need Thee every hour...Here's hoping our personal uglies will take us back to the cross...

[2/12 update: For examples of awkward accountability questions, see "7 Tough Questions To Ask Your Friends"]

No comments: