2/20/08

Bus school

In the not-too-distant past, an acquaintance told me that people like to talk. Granted this is not a novel idea, and it can at times be true for me, but I saw this to be quite true of a couple of fellow bus riders today. One was a fellow complete with binoculars and a pin-clad hat. It was kind-of remarkable how he kept spouting off ideas in his conversation with the bus driver. It was interesting to see what triggered his thoughts. His ideas seemed to be quite localized for the most part - the bus world, the replacement of a bowling alley with apartments...These are real things that interested him or perhaps topics with which he felt he could connect with the local community -- the driver.

There was another chatty man on the bus. The two may have been on the bus at the same time for awhile, but eventually it ended up being just that other man in the front part of the bus. And he sure liked to talk! But when it was just him, who was he talking to? I was in a seat near that front section, and I believe there was another passenger on the other side of the aisle behind the main section, but I ended up responding to the talker to a degree. It was just so interesting. At first he chatted away, I think mainly about the bus price situation, but eventually he talked a bit to me in particular...he guessed that I worked. I responded affirmatively and told him I teach, which led to further conversation. He sure carried the weight of that conversation! And what were the topics? Again a local interest, followed by a shift to talking about my life, which influenced the ensuing conversation.

Maybe I'll learn from the bus folk over time. Not sure I'll ever be proficient in talking about local interests with a passion quite the same as these 'vocal experts', but maybe I'll improve my small talk skills from this kind-of...bus school ;)

No comments: