1/30/08

What is the object of my faith?

Even though I know it in my head, it's so easy to "forget" it in my heart. There is an article called Object of My Affection, which is a good reminder of Who should be the object of our affection.

It's so EASY to distractedly bank my hope in people rather than Christ. People will hurt. People will disappoint. I will hurt. I will disappoint.

Hebrews 12:1b-2a:

"let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith..."

HE understands our humanness, our temptations, our trials (Heb. 2:18, 4:15).

vs. 3:

"Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted."

Ah...vs. 4's interesting:

"In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood."

Ah, ah...vs. 7:

"It is for discipline that you have to endure..."

and vs. 11:

"For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it."

I guess sometimes in order to get that 'peaceful fruit of righteousness' a little striving in tree-climbing is in order, keeping our eyes toward the 'sun'...

May that fruit be quick in coming, but even if not, may God help me run the race with my eyes fixed on Him...

No comments: