1/14/08

Oh my goodness, another timing thing??

I hope God is the one giving me this frequent sense of awe. Yet ANOTHER timing thing. Am I reading into things too much? So I'm just now at this part of the book "Let the Nations be Glad: The Supremacy of God in Missions" by John Piper:

"The word for 'fight' in 1 Timothy (agonizesthai from which we get "agonize") is used repeatedly in describing the Christian life. Jesus said, "Strive to enter by the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able" (Luke 13:24). Hebrews 4:11 says, 'Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, that no one fall by the same sort of disobedience." Paul compares the Christian life to a race and says, "Every athlete strives and uses self-control in all things. They do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we do it to obtain an imperishable one" (1 Corinthians 9:25). He describes his ministry of proclamation and teaching in these terms: "For this I toil, striving with all the energy which he mightily inspires within me" (Colossians 1:29). And he says that prayer is part of this fight: "Epaphras, a servant of Christ and one of your own, greets you, always striving on your behalf in prayers" (Colossians 4:12). "Strive with me in your prayers on my behalf to God" (Romans 15:30). It's the same word each time: the word for 'fight.'" (p. 42-43)


And just tonight in Bible study we discussed Hebrews 3-4:13 (notice the above reference to Heb. 4:11)...

May we strive for rest and learn to strive in prayer...

No comments: