1/26/08

Reason for the Hope, Part I

1 Peter 3:15b: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

A friend’s MySpace blog entry (posted in April of 2006) is entitled “Why do we believe in God?” In her blog, she admits that she doesn’t know why she believes in God: The truth is I don't know, I just do. And this is a friend who has a heart for and experience in missions, and might soon leave for another state to commit herself to sports ministry. In her blog she also writes: But when all is said and done...and thought out, and when it comes to the end of the night when no one else is around but me and God, there is a connection, a hope, a promise, that I cannot deny. Do I always feel that connection, believe the promise...no. But in the end, no matter what thoughts, doubts, anger, confusion I feel, I still choose to believe, God is there.

Even Psalm writers seemed to enter times of doubt. In Psalm 13:1-2, David beseeches God: How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I take counsel in my soul and have sorrow in my heart all the day? How long shall my enemy be exalted over me? He momentarily seems to lose hope. He turns to God. By the end of the chapter (verses 5-6), it is evident he holds fast to the hope of who God is and memory of what God has done: But I have trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. I will sing to the LORD, because he has dealt bountifully with me. Even David questions God…and ends up clinging to hope. Asaph, another Psalm writer, began Psalm 77 mentioning his cry to God and search for the LORD in his time of trouble. He knew that God would hear him, yet he soul-searchingly questions God’s character and promises in verses 7-9: ‘Will the Lord spurn forever, and never again be favorable? Has his steadfast love forever ceased? Are his promises at an end for all time? Has God forgotten to be gracious? Has he in anger shut up his compassion?’ Then what does he end up doing? He acknowledges the invisibility of God’s footprints in the past (verse 19), yet he remembers the wonders God has done, His redemption, His leading. He remembers God’s character – His holiness, His greatness.

In Mark 9, a man whose son was possessed with an evil spirit sought Jesus in verse 22: But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us. Notice the continuing exchange in verses 23-24:

" 'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes."

Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

When believers have a hard time trusting (explicitly or implicitly), and when the feelings lack, we can still KNOW we have hope in God, and that we can ultimately trust Him. We know WHO has the power to help, WHOSE promises will not fail, WHO will never abandon us, WHO will lead us, WHO HAS led us, WHO works unfathomable wonders, and WHO has redeemed. Clinging to our faith, we can run to our holy, great God even when our trust in Him in certain circumstances falters. Temporary chinks in our trust in Him are not equivalent to a TOTAL absence of faith. Even a small amount of faith is powerful; Matthew 17:20b tells us what even a mustard seed amount of faith can do.

And what is more than our faith is the faithfulness of our God.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Good thoughts, Rachael.

Anonymous said...

Well said, Rach. I'm glad you sent me the link so I had to read this particular post. What a good reminder for all of us.

p.s. Hmmm...I wonder what the name of your mystery friend is...