1/11/08

Psalm 77

Tonight's message at a Christian fellowship group was on Psalm 77. This is a wonderful Psalm!

It starts with: "I cry aloud to God, aloud to God, and he will hear me. In the day of my trouble I seek the Lord;..."

In Asaph's (the author of this Psalm) experience, it's not like things are all of a sudden hunky dory: "When I remember God, I moan; when I meditate, my spirit faints." Clearly he went to God in the day of his trouble.

Then he pondered. Considered "the days of old, the years long ago" (vs. 5). In vs. 6 he said, " 'Let me remember my song in the night; let me meditate in my heart.'" What was his song? What can be ours?

His "spirit made a diligent search" (vs. 6). His spirit seemed to momentarily question God's goodness: "Will the Lord spurn forever, and never again be favorable? Has his steadfast love forever ceased? Are his promises at an end for all time? Has God forgotten to be gracious? Has he in anger shut up his compassion?" (vs. 7-9)

But then comes vs. 11.

He WILL REMEMBER what God has done. His "wonders of old" (vs. 11).
He WILL PONDER God's work.
He WILL MEDITATE on His "mighty deeds" (vs. 12).

Then comes reflection upon God's character along with His works.

God's HOLINESS (vs. 13).
God's GREATNESS (vs. 13).
He performs WONDERS and has revealed His MIGHT (vs. 14).
He was the REDEEMER for His people (vs. 15).
In spite of His might, His "footprints were unseen" (vs. 19).
He LED His people (vs. 20).

So Asapah went to God with a troubled heart. And he meditated and soul-searched. Questioned God's character and promises. Then He remembered. Remembered who God was and the wonders He's done. He's redeemed and led his people.

Surely He redeems, leads, and works mighty wonders again today, even when the footprints are seemingly invisible.

No comments: