1/13/07

All for Jesus...

Matthew 25:37-40:

"Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?' And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'"

from http://www.christianlyricsonline.com/artists/brave-saint-saturn/under-bridges.html:

Yesterday while walking,
Beneath an overpass,
I saw the figure of Jesus,
Standing barefoot on broken glass.
His beard was graying,
The smell of urine filled the air,
Asking if I had some change,
Anything that I could spare.

Emaciated,
His shaking fists balled up,
Influenza and pneumonia,
Begging God to take his cup.
So different from his pictures,
Breathing air through yellowed tubes,
Jesus Christ, [...]
Can look right through you.

And all have hated,
Crucified and walked away,
The Savior of the prostitutes,
Drunkards, rapists, [...]

Under bridges,
With hands raised,
From the ghettos they praise his name.
Broke and crippled in the dark of night,
Raise your voices to Jesus Christ,
Hallelujah.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I ride the bus to work and back. I often pass homeless people. I struggle when they ask for money--I hear people advise against giving them money, which enables them to buy alcohol, etc. And yet I hear this scripture in my head when I pass by people who are hungry. I've decided that if Jesus sees my giving to them as giving to him, then that's my responsibilty--to give, not to decide whether or not they will use it wisely. To give as a love offering to Jesus, as if it is him sitting there. When I see the rough street people, I try to remember how much Jesus has compassion on them. What a great God we have.