11/25/07

The Racing Mind

What's the matter with my iPod shuffle? C'mon...don't fail me now....whew...it works. So many people...so far from the start line...what? It's time to go? Why are we still standing here? Are you running? Yeah, they might finish before we start. Finally the pack starts to budge. Little by little. Starting line. Crossed. Okay. Energy levels are high. Weaving time. In-n-out. Okay. Shed clothing on the street. Anyone need a sweatshirt or gloves? ... Anyone ever thought of shopping at a marathon for new clothes? Cool! How often does someone get to run on I-90?! Walkers seem to be on the right-hand side. Full marathoners left. Half marathoners right. Good. No way that could be any more clear. You're on my heart, just like a tattoo... Nice weather. Nice views. Wandering eyes soak in the beauty. When to take water, when to pass. Let it pass this time since they're way over there on the right-hand side. Wipe the nose. Adjust the hat bill. That's okay that my hat doesn't at all match my marigold runner shirt underneath my humongo jacket. Seattle is so beautiful! Upward I look and see Him there, who made an end of all my sin...to look on Him and pardon me... Oh man. Now people are passing me like crazy...they know how to pace themselves. Need to practice hilly runs and pacing. Set aside the cloud of witnesses. Take a little water. Bump. Sorry. Toss the cup. Keep going. Random people cheering at random places. Any familiar faces? No. Always with Liz. Who's Liz? ... her heart still beats inside... Where is the love?...One earphone out to catch the time. Okay, time to push it. GO! Lift those legs! Take it smooth and strong...Wow, gummy worms. Pass. You are yesterday, you will always be... Everything's gonna be alright... Alleluuuuuia....ALLELUUUUIA...Praise the one, risen Son of GOD!! Keep going. Okay, some more water. Keep it up. Last 3 miles? Push it! Up the trail. Various cars waiting. How long do they have to wait? Hopefully they aren't driving anyone to the hospital. Almost there. Space needle in sight. What? Going uphill again? Where's Memorial Stadium? 1/2 mile left. Next, next, next. Song search time. Police cars blocking off a street. Keep going. Anyone I know watching me? No. Okay, time to turn the music off...Fast forward a bit --> Wow, how cool is this? Running into a stadium, spectators all lined up looking for their loved ones. Go, go, go...02:19:34.8. Oh...there are my parents and Anne...I'm done. Certainly not my goal time, but, I'm done. And I exceeded my goal with the fund-raising for World Vision...THANK YOU, if any supporter is reading this...



*Note #1: The results for me ended up to be: 2:15:35.2 (chip time) and 2:19:34.8 (offtime)


*Note #2: In this recreation, while some of this might be truly what I was thinking, feeling, saying, doing, seeing or hearing, some stuff likely does not truly reflect my thoughts at the time and might not be 100% accurate...

edit: 1/27/08

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lots of time for spiritual thought on the running course. Good job Rachael.

Anonymous said...

I loved reading your blog. I could almost feel you running--I enjoyed your reflections. Thank you for the thoughtful entry.