4/19/08

Flavors of Grace

Colossians 4:5-6 says: "Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."

From the post Purposeful Words on the girl talk blog:

So if a friend is condemned or legalistic, I want to give her justifying grace through my words. And if my husband is struggling with a particular sin, I want to give him sanctifying grace through my words. For a fellow church member who is suffering I want to give them comforting grace through my words. If a child is disobedient, I want to give him or her convicting grace through my words. And if a friend is weary, I want to give her sustaining grace through my words.
Perhaps the ways in which grace is sprinkled could count as the 'salt', such as the different types of grace mentioned in this blurb: justifying, sanctifying, comforting, convicting, and sustaining.

Grace enhances the flavor of the conversation through its many forms just as salt flavors food in different ways.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel! :) I really like your blog - especially this post! It's amazing the way grace can almost have "shades" like the way there are shades of colors for example. One situation requires a specific shade while another needs a different shade. I really like your idea about all this. What is the "girl talk" blog? Hope your week is going well!

:)Amy H.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy!

Thanks :) The "girl talk" blog is the blog of the wife and daughters of C.J. Mahaney, who is the president of Sovereign Grace Ministries. Nice idea about there being shades of grace. Would be nice if the English language was a bit more shady :) -- like, I wish there were words for the different shades of 'yes' and 'no'...though I guess we 'kind-of' have them...

Anyway, thanks for visiting this blog and have a nice rest-of-the-week!