12/11/06

Inspirational Impact

I went on a retreat last month, and got a ticket on the way home - for speeding and following too closely. I don't think I was incredibly close, but it's possible I could have been less than 3 seconds behind the car in front of me. Anyway, at first when the officer talked to me, I was fine, then, he went back to his car...and came back, and showed me a ticket - for one handsome sum. It was a sad shock at first, yes...but later in my car we had some fun with it -- like to pretend it was to count for all the times I sped in the past, a donation to the city, or whatever... it was really nice that they were able to help lighten the situation.

And then...in the mail I got a card along with an incredibly generous check -- to help cover the bulk of the cost of the ticket! Wow. That was quite amazing. And then later on I was given yet another check to cover the remainder of the cost of the ticket. I didn't end up having to pay any of it! *WOW* Even though I was the one to blame, other people (who went on the retreat) pitched in to help me. Their generosity is certainly an undeserved inspiration!! I will not forget this ...It's quite amazing.

The groups' Bible studies were studying Galatians this quarter. I don't think my Bible study has gotten to the following verse yet, but I think it is one that this generous gesture of kindness illustrates:

Gal. 6:10b - "...let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith."

Also, it reminds me of how as believers don't get what we deserve (salvation), and with this situation too, I got something I didn't deserve....

No comments: