7/4/06

More from Edwards -

Quote from http://jonathanedwards.com/text/Diary/May1723.htm

"Saturday morning, June 29. It is best to be careful in prayer, not to put up those petitions, of which I do not feel a sincere desire: thereby, my prayer is rendered less sincere, less acceptable to God, and less useful to myself. "

Quotes from http://jonathanedwards.com/text/Diary/Dec1724.htm

"Tuesday, July 7. When I am giving the relation of a thing, remember to abstain from altering either in the matter or manner of speaking, so much as that, if every one, afterwards, should alter as much, it would at last come to be properly false. "

It's interesting that when people relay stories where they are trying to paint an unpleasant portrayal of someone, their voices often change into a despiteful tone, which probably often exaggerates or twists the actual tone of voice of the victim of the imitation.

"Sabbath, Nov. 15. Determined, when I am indisposed to prayer, always to premeditate what to pray for; and that it is better that the prayer should be of almost any shortness, than that my mind should be almost continually off from what I say. "





No comments: