7/2/06

Edwards' Resolutions

The following are some of Jonathan Edward's Resolutions, as recorded on
http://www.jonathanedwards.com/text/Personal/resolut.htm :

"Resolved, never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do, if it were the last hour of my life."

"Resolved, to act, in all respects, both speaking and doing, as if nobody had been so vile as I, and as if I had committed the same sins, or had the same infirmities or failings as others; and that I will let the knowledge of their failings promote nothing but shame in myself, and prove only an occasion of my confessing my own sins and misery to God."

"Resolved, that I will live so as I shall wish I had done when I come to die."

"Whenever I hear anything spoken in conversation of any person, if I think it would be praiseworthy in me, Resolved to endeavor to imitate it. "

It's a good idea to imitate other good attributes found in others! Or better yet, if we recognized those characteristics, and tried to consciously implement them in our lives. However, hopefully we wouldn't imitate uniquely 'trademarked' characteristics of others' personalities, with bad motives/intentions. I think imititating those things doesn't have to be bad necessarily, as long as the motives are okay. (It could be fun if someone has a peculiar vocabulary item, or joke, if it rubbed off onto others.) Probably most ideas are basically 'plagarized' anyway... is anything new under the sun?? (Ecc. 1:9b: 'So there is nothing new under the sun.') Well, I guess I-pods and laptops and astronauts haven't been around since the beginning of time, but...

"Resolved, after afflictions, to inquire, what I am the better for them, what good I have got by them, and what I might have got by them."

It's a good idea to try to see the good that may have resulted from afflictions...afterall, as Rom. 8:28 goes..."And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." We may not always see the good, though -

"Resolved, always to do that, which I shall wish I had done when I see others do it."

No comments: