8/27/06

Jonathan Edwards' "Personal Narrative"

From Edwards' "Personal Narrative," (http://www.jonathanedwards.com/text/
Personal/PNarrative.htm), & my thoughts (in italics):

"In this sickness, God was pleased to visit me again, with the sweet influences of his Spirit. My mind was greatly engaged there, on divine and pleasant contemplations, and longings of soul. I observed, that those who watched with me, would often be looking out wishfully for the morning; which brought to my mind those words of the Psalmist, and which my soul with delight made its own language, My soul waiteth for the Lord, more than they that watch for the morning; I say, more than they that watch for the morning; and when the light of day came in at the window, it refreshed my soul, from one morning to another. It seemed to be some image of the light of God's glory."

Waiting for God more than waiting for morning...perhaps joy was associated with coming in the morning, because I believe it is also written in the Psalms something like 'Sorrow lasts for the night, but joy comes in the morning.' Maybe we should rely on God MORE than holding out for/expecting greener pastures / better times.

"It has often appeared to me delightful, to be united to Christ; to have him for my head, and to be a member of his body; also to have Christ for my teacher and prophet. I very often think with sweetness, and longings, and partings of soul, of being a little child, taking hold of Christ, to be led by him through the wilderness of this world. "

It's interesting to think of Christ as a teacher ~ (of course I don't mean in place of being the Son of God...)

No comments: